Your South Dakota marriage license:
What to do before, during and after the wedding
Before: Purchase your marriage license
- Up to 20 days before the wedding, go to any SD county courthouse
- Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Please allow at least 15 minutes
- You both must be present, legally single and of age
- Bring driver’s licenses or other government-issued photo ID
- $40 cash
- No blood test, waiting period or need for birth certificates, death certificates or divorce decrees
During: Bring your marriage license to the ceremony
We will complete the license at your ceremony and get the needed signatures (two adult witnesses are required). I will mail it back to the courthouse. OR you may return it yourselves (via mail or in person) but this must be done within 10 days of the ceremony.
After: Request your marriage certificate
Your Marriage License is not the same as your Marriage Certificate. A marriage license is what you need so that you can get married. A marriage certificate is what proves that the marriage actually and legally happened. (The pretty one you will sign at your ceremony is neither. It’s a keepsake copy for your scrapbook.)
A certified copy of your marriage certificate is required for changing your name, renewing your driver’s license, insurance and other reasons. It will not be mailed to you automatically. You must request it from any South Dakota county courthouse, and they will charge an additional $15 per copy.
I’m happy to answer questions
about your marriage license
Call me. (605) 484-8464